Thursday, 2 February 2012

Third time lucky :)

So this last week has been very surreal...I think its finally sunk in that I have an offer to study medicine. At the beginning, when I first found out, I kept on logging onto UCAS track half expecting it to change to unsuccessful as I just couldn't believe it..

Now that I think about it, its quite funny how I found out that I had received an offer from Birmingham. I was getting tired of waiting to hear the outcome and I was really apprehensive...stalking the postman (whenever the letters came I'd be the first person to run to see if i had any), freaking out whenever I got an email alert on my phone, going through the forums every few hours to see if anyone had heard anything, it was really crazy...
..It finally got to 1 week and 3 days post Birmingham interview when I decided I couldn't take it anymore (I think after finding out on New Media Medicine that someone had received a rejection post interview from Birmingham). So I decided enough was enough and I braved myself to phone up the admissions office. I spoke to a lovely lady and I wasn't expecting to find out the result over the phone, rather I wanted to know when I'd hear from them. She asked for my name and also for the date of my interview and there was a pause on the phone before she told me that I had an offer and it would be updated on UCAS track in a couple of hours. She said it so calmly that I froze and had to stop and get her to check if she had got the correct name and she laughed and confirmed my name and told me that I did indeed have an offer. I'm sure she gets shocked applicants all the time, bless her ha!
So yeah thats how I found out, and it was updated on UCAS a couple of hours later. I had a little cry before telling my parents. My dad was on his way back from a conference and was on the plane when I found out so I couldn't contact him, but when he landed in London I told him and he let out a shout over the phone before telling me that he'd call me back later because everyone was staring at him on the plane haha- so yeah he was happy! I'll never forget what my parents have done for me and the stress I've been through with them!
This application process has been seriously draining so I'm very relieved to know that I will be going back to University in September. Really looking forward to experiencing university life once more and pursuing my dream. Bah I really am third time lucky!

I haven't firmed the offer at Birmingham yet as I want to wait for Liverpool to get back to me in March to see how I did in the interview and what they were really thinking when I answered the questions (I'd hate to never know ha)!

Anyway I haven't really been up to much other than working as I'm trying to save up before September. I'm working two jobs (as a bank healthcare assistant and also have an admin job- both jobs within the NHS).
I've just completed two night shifts in a row working as a healthcare assistant on the gynaecology ward which have been tiring to say the least but really enjoyable. They were my first ever night shifts and I'll probably book some more night shifts later this month. Have 6 shifts to do this week (3 more left to go)...

Also booked a holiday to Las Vegas last week with the family for August. A holiday is soo what I need right now...

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!! Reading your posts have been very inspiring and have made me want to do medicine even more :)

      Delete
  2. you so deserve the place! :) Well done, I am going to same way as you lol...Hopefully will be third time lucky, now I have 4 years to wait for Medicine :(. Although I think Pharmacy will be good for me before Medicine.

    Enough about me lol...WELL DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats..! I appreciate your boldness and patience for "3rd time lucky" I wish i had the same boldness in waiting to join medicine...while its too late for me..! :( Good Luck for your studies..! :) Keep writing your experiences..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be very proud - well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A holiday is soo what I need right now..."

    Yeah, and you deserve it, eh. Congratulations!

    Enjoy your vacation,
    Peny@medical uniforms scrubs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much everyone for the lovely comments. Really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!
    I've been reading some of your stuff, and great Blog!
    I'm an undergrad now, trying to make it. I just started my blog as well...any advice? Also where's a link so I can follow your updates?
    www.thehippoath.blogspot.com
    https://twitter.com/#!/GirlHippocratic

    ReplyDelete