Thursday, 24 November 2011

BBC health is my new favourite homepage... (Interview prep)

So after getting two interviews..one being in 10 days (eeeek) I think motivation has finally kicked in and I am finally going to start with some prep! I think I'm going to try to blog about a medical news story every day and my thoughts about it!

So lets start with a news story I read which said that women who are in fear of labour can be given the opportunity to have a Caesarean..
Basically NICE is offering new guidelines which now says that women who don't have health complications can now opt to have a C-section! Currently C-sections are offered only if the woman has complications such as diabetes, high blood pressure or if the foetus is in the wrong position but new guidelines state that C-sections can be now offered even if there is no medical justification..

So what the advantages and disadvantages of such implications..

Advantages
  • May reduce abortions, as some women have abortions simply because they are scared of the pain of giving birth naturally.
  • Natural birth is known to be painful so giving women that choice may be seen as a good thing

Disadvantages
  • Having a C-section is around £1,000 more than giving birth naturally so at a time when the NHS is trying to save money it may not be such a good idea.
  •  C-sections may increase the hospital stay
In conclusion, I personally feel that women should be allowed to make informed decisions about their body and if the abortion rate is reduced as a result then I think it is a good idea..

2 comments:

  1. Well done, I love how dedicated you are to medicine :).

    You're going to make an amazing doctor, just keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the revision :P

    Good luck - the fact you are getting LOTS of interviews is a really good sign that you are certainly the sort of person they are looking for!

    ReplyDelete